Sunday, April 25, 2010

UPDATE



I'm dreading the day when I have to blog about the English school system because that means I will have had to figure it out. So far I know we are registered for nursery (nursery school - an easy one) and the rest is a confusing blur of ornate language (primary and secondary schools, sixth forms, reception age, A-levels blah blah blah ). Unfortunately I will be figuring it out soon and I promise to keep you posted with a new post.

In the mean time I'm about to start studying for an immigration test (exam) to get my indefinite leave to remain, which is not unlike a green card. Taking a test is called sitting for an exam, so at least I know I won't have to stand.

I read somewhere that most Americans couldn't pass our own immigration test - which doesn't surprise me. How does a bill become a law? All I remember is, "I'm just a bill, yes I'm only a bill and I'm sitting here on capital hill..." then what happens?

London has been beautiful the last couple weeks and we've been enjoying all her green glory and spending a lot of time in local parks, taking the baby to the swings and having picnicks with friends. At the playground I noticed lots of new differences - parents don't say "Good Job!" they say "Well done!" and instead of, "Good Boy!" (which I say more like g'boy) I hear "Clever Boy!"

I've been taking photos of english words in situ. Here is habedashery at work:

More to come once this test is behind me (next week) and for now I've stolen this little list we helped compile for Jill's blog

Reckon = think (I reckon this word sounds sort of ridiculous)
Double 8 = 88 (as in Double 0 7!)
Swap out = to switch on and off.
Diversion = detour
Polo neck = turtle neck
Plaster = band aid.
Jumper = sweater
Compulsory = mandatory
Fringe = bangs
Mine = my place, "come over to mine"
Bank holiday = national holiday
Public school = private school
State school = public school
Post = mail
Joiners = carpenters


2 comments:

Marjorie said...

Still loving your blogs :)

LLSM said...

thanks marjorie!