Sunday, October 24, 2010

pronouns, cheryl cole and larry king



Gosh, it's been a while. Hope everyone is well. We've had a lovely few months here in London, including a few visits to the states (*sigh) and trips to sunny places over the summer. Now here we are again, it's a little colder and a little darker and winter is creeping in.

There's a little tv show here called The X Factor. You'd have to be living under a rock not to hear about it daily and even though I don't really follow along, yesterday I watched a little. It's just American Idol without the Americans. Simon Cowell's even got the same seat. One of the judges is a woman called Cheryl Cole. She's one of those famous-in-Europe pop stars and yesterday after the show ended there was an hour long interview with her and the-guy-whose-taking-over-for-Larry-King. See article here


I think Cheryl Cole seems nice, I hadn't heard much about her before the show and I didn't know about her headline making divorce or recent illness. The main reason I watched the entire interview was that I liked her accent. But, what I found truly amazing, is her crazy way of using/misusing pronouns. I mean, that was something! She was actually making up words and then she would refer to herself in the third person, the first person and then in the plural...


Examples,
"There's a part of us that will always love him, he's a big part of me life."
"it was the day after me birthday..."
"its time i give meself my own voice back" (meself isn't a word!?!)
"i would never of took me vows if i didn't."
"oh, we's will."


oh yes. she really said we's will

piers morgan: you haven't called me pet yet.
cheryl cole: oh we's will.

piers morgan: "do you think he still wants you back?"
cheryl cole: "i don't think he ever wanted to let her go."
me: "HER? what's going on?"

piers morgan: "Bolddo you feel better for talking about it?"
cheryl cole: "ask us in a couple hours."
and then, "he changed me life when he invited us onto the x factor."

Explainations:
My husband says, "she's a Geordie that's how they speak."
Urban dictionary says A Geordie is a person that comes from Newcastle and has a distinct accent.

OK, so that explains it.
Well, I is got to go to bed now, we am very tired.

2 comments:

Liza said...

haha-- ok, Glen used the Geordie explanation in her defense as well. However, I did further 'research' on Wikipedia. Although, entry mentions the dialect of those up north, there is no mention of a Geordie's inability to speak English!

Marjorie said...

Glad to see you back up and runninig, and yah, the English is pretty wild over there, I watch Corrie and I cannot believe how bad their grammer is....bit I love it :)
Keep on posting !